Thursday, December 1, 2011
Food, glorious food!
On November 18, Amon ate his first food... mashed avocado! I wouldn't say he was over the moon about it, but he didn't reject it and he seemed to enjoy the sensation of the slippery mush in his mouth. You'll notice in the photos that I made a cardinal mistake... no bib! But you will see in the video below that bibs come with their own hazards.
Amon got the hang of food pretty quickly and has been enjoying each new food more than the last. We've eaten sweet potato as well as banana, which we introduced today. He now opens his mouth and chases the spoon... yes!
I think the biggest challenge with eating is actually the high chair. I put him in it a few days before he started eating to get him used to it, but it's a big change for him, and it's a little big as well... he rails against that and the bib more than the food... so this is promising. As a family who adores food adventures and cooks all the time, I'm elated that he approaches food with an open mind and bursts of gusto.
I was pretty proud of myself (small victories count in the world of confined domesticity) for making what looked like real baby food for Amon in our little food processor. The first sweet potato I gave him was simply mashed with a fork and mooshed up with some formula. When I whizzed up the steamed sweet potato in the Cuisinart, I felt like a star! It looked like the real thing and it was much easier for him to eat. I froze a bunch in little cubes...Pears are our next conquest... onward ho in the culinary universe!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



Roger says "what's that spaceship he's in?"
ReplyDeleteThis video made me laugh. He's so wide-eyed over that sweet potato!
He is seated in his crazy high chair that is bound to our table. It does look like it is from the future! He seems to tolerate it for about 5 minutes then, not so much.
ReplyDeleteI love how he is looking at the camera for some kind of reassurance, is it? Or is it that he knows the video will go out to his cyber audience and he wants to be sure we get the full picture. I feel your pain little man. Hang in there. Although I still have my days, it does get easier to sit up and eat.
ReplyDeleteHe is super cute and I too had a little out loud giggle while watching. I wish I were there for his first bite. I love you Amon!