I had promised Amon that he could sleep in his tent when we got home from grocery shopping. Amon and I dragged the little red tent upstairs, placed it on his floor and drew the blind. I lay beside the tent on the floor and implored him to be calm and quiet.
He continuously unzipped the tent and reached out to tickle me. Finally, I told him that I had to leave the room and that he needed to calm down or I would have to move him to his bed. He insisted I lay in the ‘office’ and sent me on my way with a special pillow.
Laying on the day bed, I could hear him secretively unzipping the tent door and making forays into his room. Soon he walked into the office and approached me to give me a kiss goodnight. I sent him back to his bed and warned him again.
Not a minute later, he yelled, “Daddy, I need to go poo.” And indeed he did. Clean and clear, we returned to the tent and again I warned him that he needed to sleep or I would have to move him back into his crib. I told him it was particularly important that he become quiet as mummy would be home any moment and would be less tolerant of his behaviour. His shenanigans continued and I walked in and told him that enough was enough and that he would have to move. I reached into the tent and was semi-successful in getting a hold of an arm and a leg. He was yelling now. Awkwardly, I lifted him out of the tent. Screaming as I lifted him, he bumped his head on the door and then I placed him into his crib. He was outraged. I was afraid I had hurt him in the transfer and picked him up to comfort him. I could hear Day enter the house. I placed him back in bed and his rage grew. I walked out of the room, and Day at the top of the stairs asked, ” What is going on?”. Amon was shrieking. I looked back through his door and found him climbing up onto the crib bars. He was straddling the long top bar, a leg on either side. This is a position he has achieved on many occasions. In the past, it had been at this point that he lost his pluck. This time, he reached up, grabbed the short top bar with both hands and slipped his left leg up and over the bar to join his right. Still holding the short top bar he gracefully lowered himself to the floor, let go and slipped in to his tent. He was still crying. Amazing what an indignant rage can give you the power to do!
Aw. The poor little fella, no wonder he retreated to the tent when you were threatening a potential zombie attack, "mummy would be home any moment and would be less tolerant of his behaviour." http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mummy
ReplyDelete