Thursday, May 26, 2011

Leaving.

I lift the little folded bundle of Amon out of the crook of my arm. I examine his closed eyes; Red and puffy because of the drops he received prior to his eye exam earlier today. I notice his tiny eyelash seedlings, his pale eyebrows connected to the hair at his temples. The flecks of dry skin on his forehead. The feel of his restless foot straining against the blanket that envelops him. I love him.

We move towards his cot. I slowly lower him. My left hand cradles his head, my right the remainder of his diminutive body. 'Daddy's so careful.' nurse Heidi says fondly without being patronizing. He settles gently onto the mounds of soft blankets.

Time to go. I lean in and tell him I love him. Day kisses him on his forehead. I take a step back but then steal another glance. I grab my backpack. Take another look. He is still asleep. I walk a few steps and turn to see Day saying goodnight one more time. I can't help but take a step back to look at him under the little makeshift circus tent that creates a semi-arc around his head. He is facing away from me. I walk away. This is how every day ends.

1 comment: