Thursday, June 23, 2011

The Sleepig or Barnyard in a Bassinet

Our Amon Soleil has been home for 2 weeks and it is so wonderful to learn all about him and see his face any time of the day. I don't have to make an epic journey (including the requisite trip to the underworld with all of its cretins (ie the subway) with my precious cargo of frozen breastmilk in hand) to get to him. All I have to do now is turn my head and he's there, less than an arm's reach away in his bassinet. He sleeps right beside me for ease of breastfeeding in the night, and for my comfort too. When we first got him home, I fell asleep holding his hand in the bassinet. I wanted to touch him all the time; remind myself that he was really here and he is our baby, no more separations. Having him home has brought me great peace, and I think the relief I feel has taken the edge off the intensity so many new parents describe on first bringing baby home.

This peace I describe in relative terms... having him home with us, sleeping right beside me brings peace of a metaphysical sort, but has certainly decreased my physical peace.

Sleeping preemie babies are loud!

No one told me this... nor did anyone tell me that they are hilarious and extremely well versed in animal mimicry.

Amon Soleil excels at animal noises of the barnyard variety while sleeping. His repertoire includes horses, ducks, sheep, and pigs, as well as yelps, grunts and some very weird laughs that I can only compare to how I imagine a mischievous leprechaun might chortle on foiling another desperate treasure seeker. Disturbing!

2 comments:

  1. that gave me a giggle festival! sleeping with his hand in yours... heart swell.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hi little man! sweet funny sounds : ) can't wait to meet your little self.

    love, Auntie T

    ReplyDelete