Chez Milcor, we love music! Before Amon was born one of our favorite date nights was staying home and deejaying for each other using our iPods and Youtube. We had an awesome New Years Eve dance party together a couple of years ago doing this. So it's natural on the hottest day of the year, Amon and I are inside having a deejay party. Spurred on by a sense of one upmanship and a genuine love of music, our dance parties were a way for Michael and I to learn about each other's favourite music, and about each other. What favorite song doesn't have a story attached to it? MC is a hip hop aficionado ('93 4evr), and he also loves electronic music. I love 60s, 70s and 80s pop, disco, and experimental music. We intersect at funk and jazz; our nickname for Amon before he was born was SunRa. I loved the idea of having a little jazz genius in the family. The name Amon was inspired by one of MC's fave electronic artists, Amon Tobin. Our musical tastes span the past 80 or 90 years, with the occasional foray into the Romantics (not New Romantics though I was into that at the time, I'm talking Rachmaninoff). Along comes Amon to school us on the classics. We received some Baby Mozart CDs from Amon's Gramma Joy and Grampa Martin and their friends Kim and Paul. We don't often listen to Mozart, nor any classical music. Of course these classic tracks are now in heavy rotation in the Milcor dance party mix, along with Raffi (thx Auntie Dawn and Uncle Matt), Metallica kidstyle (actually quite amazing... word J-dog!) and Marlo Thomas and Friends. Funny how the new(born) can bring back the the old. He really loves Water Music. I snapped these photos when we were listening to that cut. Here's to babies bringing it on, more dance parties, and kids teaching the old folks!
- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone
Love love love this!! Cannot wait to take part in dance party acsheeon.
ReplyDeleteLook at that big smile!!
ReplyDeleteWow! Is he really smiling?! That's so wonderful! Coen's growing like a weed, but he's making me wait for the smiles. Smooches to you all. xo
ReplyDelete