Saturday, September 17, 2011

Alarm


This is me nursing Amon outside of a neighboring apartment building just before 6am on Thursday morning. We were jarred awake by the wailing of fire alarms! I plopped Amon, still in his sleep sack, into our baby carrier, threw on a jacket and trooped down 18 flights of stairs, Michael trailing behind us in his bare feet. Amon was scared and so was I. We weren't sure if it was a real fire, if we would run into it on the next floor, smoke, flames, stop, drop, and roll! As we snaked down the stairwell with our neighbours, everyone was eerily quiet, even the dogs. We could hear the sirens and see the flashing red lights advancing down the block by the time we made it outside. I wanted to get away from the apartment before the firetrucks came because I didn't want Amon to get upset. Miraculously, neither one of us cried. I was contemplating it until I saw one of our neighbors with his very chipper Westie called Alba, wagging her tail and dancing with energy. This was a delicious adventure for her! Outside, on an unexpected walk before the sun was even up! And people everywhere to charm and give affection! Lucky dog!
... oh, yeah! We were lucky too, safe and together on a crisp fall morning.
We retreated to a bench across the street, and nursed en plein aire until we got the all clear. We made it back up to the cozy apartment in time to watch the sun rise over the lake.
- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

1 comment:

  1. ...never a dull moment. Amon Soleil is the bravest baby in the land.

    ReplyDelete